A celebration of urban wildlife

I have been thinking about how much enjoyment I get out of the birds and other critters that visit our yard. This blog is planned to be a series of notes about my observations of the animals I see and their behaviors.
My wife and I garden and enjoy the animals in Penacook, NH. I'd love to hear your comments about these things where you are.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Preparing for change

Although summer can seem to be one long season of sameness (especially August) things are changing all the time. Nestlings have fledged, flowers have come and gone and the days are gradually shortening.
But now the pace is beginning to quicken, the change to fall isn't that far away. Temperatures will drop and birds will migrate (some have started already). The tempo of life adjusts as preparations for the next season begin.
One of the most obvious changes in my yard is the activity at the hummingbird feeder. It is in constant use and each bird tries to defend it for herself (The males have left my yard). I have to fill it every day as the tiny creatures bulk up to prepare for their impressive journey to Central and South America. These thumb sized birds make the trip twice a year and it includes a 5-6 hundred mile leg over the Gulf of Mexico. Absolutely mind boggling.
Soon other migrants birds will appear for a day or two to rest and use the feeders. Mammals will be checking out the space under the porch and salamanders will be burrowing under the leaves. Finding shelter is a prime survival strategy.
The animals have had a good year. I see lots of offspring, but that will increase the competition for food and shelter. I'll do my part, but nature will make the final decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment