A celebration of urban wildlife

I have been thinking about how much enjoyment I get out of the birds and other critters that visit our yard. This blog is planned to be a series of notes about my observations of the animals I see and their behaviors.
My wife and I garden and enjoy the animals in Penacook, NH. I'd love to hear your comments about these things where you are.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Personalities of all sizes



Having watched the generations of animals that have inhabited our yard I notice behavior differences among individuals. Often that behavior reflects their tolerance of humans.
In the past we have had resident humming birds that used the feeder outside the kitchen window no matter what we were doing at the sink. In fact at one point one was so used to me that even when I was outside within 3 feet of the feeder it would feed readily.
Our current group range from shy to downright skittish. The female in the picture above is the least wary. She will use the feeder if we are still, but much movement will drive her away. The rest of the several that use the feeder will barely tolerate our presence in the room. As a result the kitchen blind is frequently closed when we should be enjoying the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment